What We Eat

July 29, 2006

Light Blueberry Treat

This is a treat to have if you have dairy at least sporadically. We don't generally go this hardcore on dairy, but this is a treat worth having! (It's not cheating when you're free!) If you eat dairy on a regular basis, this very well may become a standard in your home. It's delicious, simple, and provides a GREAT presentation.

Light Blueberry Treat
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Serves: at least 6

1 pint whipping (heavy) cream
1 quart blueberries
2 cups 100% pure maple syrup

1. Pour out the cream in a chilled (preferably metal or glass) mixing bowl. Whip with an electric mixer until the cream turns stiff (this is what real whipped cream is - none of this "Cool Whip" nonsense - that's the cook in me, not the healthy person). :) Spoon the whipped cream evenly into (at least) six small dessert bowls.

2. Top each bowl with desired amount of blueberries (usually enough to cover the cream but without overflowing the bowls).

3. Drizzle a desired amount of the syrup over the blueberries and cream. Serve immediately (or chilled).

7 Comments:

  • Hey Erskines!

    I am so glad you started this blog. All the recipes sound great! I am curious about something. I thought that margarine, (see baked apple recipe), was not as good for you because of the processing it goes through. Am I just off my rocker? Maybe you can share with me what you know about that if you have learned anything about it since you have started on the path of healthier eating. Also I quite often serve salad as a side dish with a frittata. I know you said one was not needed but I thought in case someone wanted something to go with it, (as I often do), that I would share that. I find the different textures play off each other quite nicely. Again, great idea; keep the recipes coming!

    By Blogger Sarah Beth, at 8:23 PM  

  • Excellent question, Sarah! Margarine isn't necessarily "good" for you, you're right. (That's why you're not going to find much of it on this blog.) Neither is butter, though. There are those who say butter is better because of its dairy properties. There is good in some dairy, but you can get those benefits in other things (mostly). Margarine is MUCH more digestible than butter, and butter has a LOT of fat content. We were butter people until our naturopath came along. Now we're neither but use margarine in things like the baked apples and our version of apple crisp (which we ought to post on here some time).

    By Blogger Erskine, at 7:44 AM  

  • Have you tried Smart Balance brand? It has Omega 3 in it and it tastes yummy.

    By Blogger Nicole, at 10:18 AM  

  • I love this blog! I love this blog! I love this blog!

    OK you probably get the point. But I really do! This blog makes me as happy as PowerPoint and bobbleheads! And that's very happy! Keep up the good work, Erskines!

    By Blogger jen, at 4:44 PM  

  • I made this last night for my family - they loved it! They were a little dubious at first, especially when they saw that the only 3 ingredients were whipping cream, blueberries and maple syrup, but they ended up completely loving it and even asked where I'd gotten the recipe! Congrats, and thanks, Erskines!

    (Oh - and I was very proud of myself for making my own whipped cream!)

    By Blogger jen, at 12:54 PM  

  • I laugh in the face of Cool Whip - Scoff if you will. It is a slap in the face of whipped cream... a slap....

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:16 AM  

  • Ummm..BTW....we've been eating this for days!! Even for breaky! (shhhh!!) It's so yummmmmmm!!!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home