What We Eat

March 04, 2009

On the Bottle

We're officially ruined. If you've received recipes from us in the last several years, you'll know we occasionally use recipes requiring wine. We know that if you cook with wine, it's best to cook with wine you'll drink. However, we decided we would avoid the liquor store by using cooking wine until we decided if we like recipes. We kept using cooking wine because we liked recipes enough and because it was inexpensive. Then it happened. I was storm-stayed in the Valley and had time to kill. I wandered into the liquor store just to ask what was the best cooking wine. They took one look at me, sized me up realistically, and took me over to Astica's sauvignon blanc. It was inexpensive, and it was a "real" wine. I left it alone.

A couple of weeks ago I decided we've made so many risottos with cooking wine that we know we love them. It was time to try out this sauvignon blanc. The taste is much less vinagary, much bolder, and a better supplement to the creamy arborio. The next time I opened our cooking wine (a drop was left), I couldn't believe the difference! I can't imagine using cooking wine again. Sure, all things in moderation, but do yourself a favor and use the real deal.

BTW, we made the best Bolognese sauce in the world two weeks ago! If I can get my hands on the recipe, it's coming on this blog!

LE

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home