What We Eat

May 11, 2007

Turnips

I've only ever had turnips in soup before staying with Ken and Lois. They make their turnips with things like brown sugar, so we experimented and came up with this recipe.

Prep time: 30-45 minutes
Serves: 4 to 6 good sized portions

1 large turnip
1/8 cup olive oil (we use extra virgin)
1/2 tsp ground sea salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp basil
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/8 cup raw honey

1. Remove peel from turnip; cut into cubes. Place in 2-quart sauce pan and cover with water. Bring water to boil. Reduce heat and cook until turnip is soft.

2) Drain turnip and place in large mixing bowl. Add oil, salt, pepper, and basil. Mix on medium low speed with electric hand mixer until turnips are well mashed.

3) Add garlic and honey. Mix on medium low speed for one or two minutes.

4) Serve hot as a side dish (or as a weird snack).

3 Comments:

  • Hmmm, sounds intersting. Mashed, eh? I think I've only ever had turnips in soup before, or PEI boiled dinner. I will have to try this. I bet steaming the turnips would also help boost the nutritional value, though I don't have a clue how long that might take.

    Thanks for recipe-ing!

    By Blogger Dena, at 12:06 PM  

  • I'm a big fan of turnips. I grew up eating them mashed, chunked up in roasts with all the other veggies, in soups... It's one of my faves - my mom and I sometimes would go buy a turnip, cook it up, and sit and eat it all! (same for cabbage and squash...we are veggie girls!)

    I also recently saw a recipe for turnip and/or sweet potato oven fries.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:44 AM  

  • It's been 2 months and I'm getting tired of eating turnip every day.....

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home