What We Eat

February 13, 2010

Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken

I came home one day before Christmas absolutely delighted with a recipe Natasha had put together for dinner. You might think that I'm the only one who cooks if you listen to me talk or read what I write on here. This cannot be further from the truth; Natasha cooks frequently and does it well. She cooked very well the first time I had this recipe, when I asked her if I could put it on this blog. "It's too simple - I just threw it together," she said. Clearly, she doesn't realize that's really what we all want. :)

So, imagine my great delight when we invited Jeff and Courtney over one Saturday, and Natasha began putting this together again! It's been a week, but I have not forgotten this recipe. I like the freshness of the lemon, but I like how it does not take over the recipe whatsoever. Of course you almost cannot go wrong with the proverbial basil and thyme combo. The best part of all is that this is a slow cooker recipe, so you can begin cooking the chicken and then go about your day to do whatever else you're doing. (For us, it means we can begin a recipe, then get back to our infant and toddler, who is likely getting into something....) Enjoy this recipe at home with the family, or serve it to company.

Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2-3 hours (dependent on doneness of chicken)
Serves: 4-6

2 cups free-range chicken broth
Juice of one lemon (seeds removed)
1 tsp dried basil leaves (or 1 Tbsp fresh basil leaves)
1 tsp dried thyme leaves (or 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves)
Dash of fresh ground pepper
4-6 free-range, boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1) Put chicken breasts in the bottom of your Crock-Pot/slow cooker.
2) Add chicken broth, then add lemon juice.
3) Sprinkle the remaining ingredients evenly over the chicken.
4) Turn the Crock-Pot on low and let the chicken cook.

Voila! :) (Note: When hosting, we'll often line a platter or narrow dish with greens and put the chicken on top to make it pretty, but honestly, this is tasty no matter how it comes.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home