What We Eat

February 14, 2010

Funny Cake

Today is my dad's anniversary - yes, Valentine's Day. It wasn't the original plan, but if I remember correctly, Dad and Shelly changed their wedding date because of an ice storm or something like that. I suppose if one is going to have a V-Day anniversary, it should be someone as romantic and thoughtful as those two. Dad is the one whose poetry is among my favorite things to read on earth. (Beware if you choose to visit the link; Dad and Shelly openly love each other, and it shows up in the poems, if you know what I mean. Only read it if you're actually romantic and want deep expressions of good love.)

In addition to their poetry, I just enjoy sharing experiences with my dad and Shelly. Living so far apart means that is nearly impossible, but I would not be daunted today. I haven't stopped thinking about them all day, and I think I found just the thing to celebrate their love: funny cake. Today's recipe, in their honor, is named "funny cake" because it's...well...funny cake. It has a pie crust, a fudge layer, and a cake layer. So, so, so funny, and so, so, so good!

Ordinarily, I don't go around making random desserts because we don't eat most desserts (at home - you know me, my sweet tooth is awful!). However, we had a small group get together tonight, so taking a V-Day treat like funny cake would be perfectly appropriate. :) You can thank my dad's mom for this one. I have many positive memories of my grandmother, this being only one of them. She perfected this recipe, which has found its way into our family and hopefully into yours. You should know that I'm going to give you my grandmother's recipe the way it came to me. What I made today involved several substitutions like spelt, cane juice crystals, margarine, almond milk, and so on, in order that it could be Natasha-neutral (if not Natasha-friendly). Also, I only made one cake, and this recipe will result in two cakes. I've made it the way you see it below more times than I remember; it comes out well every time. Thanks, Grandma, and happy anniversary to Dad and Shelly! You may not be able to eat what I made for you today, but I hope you enjoy whatever you do! And try this recipe if you haven't in awhile, Dad. Make it for Shelly. :)

Funny Cake
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Bake Time: 60 Minutes
Serves: 8-12

Fudge Layer:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla

Dissolve sugar, warm water, cocoa, and vanilla in a medium bowl, mixing with a small whisk until well blended. (The mixture will be runny.) Set aside.

Cake Layer:
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter (softened)
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 unbaked pie shells (maybe some day I'll give you my recipe - for now I'm holding it close to the vest....)

1) Preheat oven to 350F. Mix as cake batter sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla, butter, flour, and baking powder with an electric mixer for about ten minutes. (Yes, this seems like a long time, but trust me and do this. The resulting batter will be thick.)
2) Line 2 pie pans with pie dough.
3) Pour 1/2 chocolate mixture into each pie shell.
4) Pour cake batter over chocolate mixture. (There is no need to spread evenly, though the recipe works better if you start by pouring the cake batter in the center of each pie shell, working out concentrically toward the sides.)
5) Place pie pans on large baking sheet in case the fudge layer boils out at all. (This happens to me at least 15% of the time.) Bake at 350F for one hour, or until cake is golden and springs back when touched gently.

1 Comments:

  • Thank you, Lynn! We love you so much and appreciate this beautiful gift on our anniversary. And you're right, Funny Cake is the best dessert for our anniversary. This summer, try the "Bottomless Funny Cake" with fresh strawberries on top. Just omit the fudge layer. This was a variation your Grandma made for me, Shelly, and your Grandpa Erskine called it "Bottomless Funny Cake" and would tease me mercilessly about Lucille not making it everytime we saw them (which, of course, she always did).

    By Blogger The Vine Man, at 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home